Monday, April 9, 2012

Grilled Rutabaga and Turnip Fries

Ok, so I learned last week how hard it is to cook (grill in particular) with 2 little girls who want to go in and out to the house with you (and I have to go in and out a lot when I grill). I grilled the "fries" in two batches (the second batch I tried sweating them to see if there was a need to get the fries tender inside (there wasn't a need). But unfortunately for my experiment, my inattention made the first batch of fries a tad on the burnt side (still tasty, but a bit more char than I would have preferred...and definitely not very pretty).


They were very soft fries...they definitely didn't get the crispy outside you get by frying, but yummy. It did have a tad more seasoning than they really needed, so I've cut the amount down in my recipe. Feel free to use your own seasonings, if you have something that goes well on fries, though.






This recipe is adapted from Judicial Peach.


Grilled Rutabaga and Turnip Fries
  • 3 turnips, peeled
  • 3-4 rutabagas (depending on the size - try for however many would make an equal number of fries to the turnips)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2-1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2-1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • olive oil, enough to lightly cover the fries
Preheat your grill on medium heat.

Cut your turnips and rutabagas vertically into halves (or thirds depending on how wide you want your fries). Then cut those pieces into long wedges about 1/2 inch thick. Toss with seasonings and lay on your preheated grill at 45 degree angles (this is where you want wedges as long as possible - I lost a few of the shorter fries to the depths of my grill during turning).

Cook your fries on direct heat for 7-10 minutes per side, watching carefully. Turn over when you see nice grill marks on the bottom (some fries might be turned sooner than others as there are hotter and cooler spots, so make sure to look at more than just one fry to determine whether they need to be turned). When both sides have cooked, check the fries to see if they're tender inside - if they aren't tender, place them on the cool side of the grill and cook on indirect heat until tender. 

Place on a rack to keep them from getting too soggy and serve. We had ours as a side with hamburgers and they worked so well together. (Though another thing I learned was hamburgers get cold faster than it takes to get kids settled with their own dinner...oh well. The fries were still warm at least - the more important part of dinner.)

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Motherhood. :) Those fries look just right to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Yeah. It wouldn't have been so hard if I could trust both girls to go in and out without wandering off down the driveway or something...but I couldn't with Cami.

      Delete